Happy belated birthday to the laser! Laser welding would just be, well, welding without a certain Hughes Labs researcher and his ingenious creation. Read the first article in our roundup for full details of the laser’s birthday. The rest of the roundup features more articles on welding competitions and more. Enjoy!
The laser turns 50
Fifty years ago Sunday, a Hughes Labs researcher named Theodore Maiman changed the world.
Reviews of the Sci-Fi adventure Iron Man 2 have been mixed, but for one local business the movie is already a big hit.
Industry News – Supplies, Tools, Welding Processes
To keep young executives in gases and welding industry informed as to available training options, Spring Training For Young Executives highlights 3 of GAWDA's most helpful training options and also gives advice on how to maximize benefits of said opportunities.
Schools/Programs and Students
College looks to 'reweld' program
Mohave Community College has launched a new initiative it hopes will give its welding graduates a better chance at finding work once they finish their degree.
National welding competition heats up
Thomas Nelson Community College will open its upgraded welding center and offer cost-subsidized training in May, which will feed a field experiencing a nationwide shortage of workers.
Medicine Hat College student Jory Barton is surrounded Wednesday by sawdust as he bends over the frame of what will eventually become a wooden covered bridge at the Edmonton Expo Centre.
All Badger welding students achieve qualification
In a new first for the welding program at the T.H. Badger Technical Center, all Level 2 welding students have qualified as welders under the American Welding Society's structural code D1.1 and/or the code for welding sheet metal D9.1.
The results are in for welding students at Portland Arts and Technology High School who accomplished a first by taking a national certification test.
Welding Gone Wrong
Some more details are coming out about the three alarm fire that raged through a strip of shops in the East Village yesterday. At around 10:15 a.m. a fire started in Pete's-a-Place on East 14th Street and Avenue A , which quickly spread to four other stores. . .